Saturday, October 25, 2014

Produce Marketing Association Fresh Summit - Anaheim 2014

       On June 6th, I received an email from the department listserv with an opportunity to apply for  a "scholarship opportunity through the Postharvest Technology Center to be awarded funds to attend the Produce Marketing Association meeting in Anaheim in October" with a deadline of June 27. My application was swiftly submitted and I was notified in the middle of July that I had been selected as a scholarship recipient! 




      The scholarship included round trip transportation to the Produce Marketing Association (PMA) conference, full registration to the Fresh Summit expo, and subsidized lodging and meals. 5 scholarship students and 1 guardian drove a van for the long drive down I-5, through the central valley and past Harris Ranch. I was the only student to represent Food Science among the Plant Science and Sustainable Agriculture students, which led to many interesting conversations about the future of the industry. The Anaheim Convention Center is so very close to Disneyland and California adventure, which made the area pretty lively and full of pedestrian/car traffic. The event itself was incredible --large, official, colorful, and busy. Guests with ribboned name tags, briefcases, and firm handshakes crossed my path several times as I walked through the lobby outside the exposition. 



Kenneth L. from my hometown was also a 2014 scholarship recipient!
      The exposition, "Fresh Summit", was enormous. You couldn't see any of the enclosing walls because of the curvature of the Earth's surface! There were booths and small "arenas" for produce company's exhibits and diverse samples of every kind as far as the eye could see. One of my favorite booths was that of Bolthouse Farm because I enthusiastically support a lot of their healthy products directed towards kids. I am also a big fan of their snack carrot product, formerly titled "Shakedowns". I talked with some associates for a while and got to sample the product. It was so exciting and valuable for me to talk directly with an employee about the produce industry and specific marketing strategies.

     Additionally, the conference had some important activities for students from UC Davis, CSU Fresno, and Cal Poly through the presentation of the PMA Foundation for Industry Talent. FIT intends to reach out to students and fill the demand of new professionals and leaders for the produce industry. During the presentations, I learned a lot about the extremely dynamic inner workings of the industry, from cultivation, distribution, marketing, and weather impacts. I would definitely recommend students interested in the produce industry to become a member of the Produce Marketing Association and let your career grow!




Casually excited young scholar, E. Dufort
      Scholarship recipients also had the opportunity to present research relevant to the industry during the UC Davis Reception held at the Marriot. I had the pleasure of presenting data that I helped gather for Cara A.'s Master's thesis on the topic of heat and ripening of California pistachios (Pistachia vera). The reception was an excellent networking opportunity and all of the UC Davis alumni were extremely supportive of the students -- GO AGS! 
     Dean Helene Dillard of the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences was also present and articulated growing support for students gaining real-world experience well before graduating from UC Davis. I second that motion!



       I'd like to thank the Postharvest Technology Center at UC Davis, specifically Beth M., Penny S., Pam D., and the generous sponsors for providing me with this extremely valuable and educational opportunity. I learned a lot, made useful connections, and got inspired for my future in the food industry. Here are some more photos from my experience at the Fresh Summit. Enjoy!


Company displays were decorated very creatively and varied
greatly in size-- from multi-arena to 2-story booths!


Kenneth and I having a blast and eating healthily!

No comments:

Post a Comment