Saturday, September 13, 2014

Internship at Kraft: August Update

       For most of August, my work days have consisted of making hot dogs and studying them, each with different variables and behaviors. Most of August has been screening each variable, collecting data, and analyzing data to find the best performing variables. I apologize if this description is too vague, but I really have to play it safe when I talk about the details of my work! This hesitance is partially the reason why I have been so slow to update this blog, in addition to a bit of frustration.
        While my research project has progressed, I have also had many opportunities at Kraft to get involved with other projects and to learn more about the different aspects of how Kraft works, as a company. The Glenview R&D Tech Center is divided into factions, called "Business Units" or "BUs", such as Meals&Desserts, Pourables, Spoonables, Cheese&Dairy, and Central Research. Employees in the Cheese&Dairy BU research cheese and dairy products, exclusively. I am part of Central Research for this internship, which means that men and women in this group can be working on multiple projects, each from a different BU. I think Central Research is the best place to work because every day is a new project and you are not limited to any one aspect of Kraft Products.
Our "DIY" Sensory Test Area, set up in a conference room
that also contained a fully functional kitchen for 
quick sample preparation and service!


      For example, I was asked by the Flavor Group to help run a sensory test for Velveeta Shells and Cheese (VSC). The benefit of working in a large company is that you can use your own employees to screen new improvements and new products for quality and consumer acceptance. To assist the Flavor Group, I helped cook and serve each sample of VSC to coworkers and help the study run smoothly and in a timely fashion. We often had 3-4 pots of boiling noodles, each a different variable and 3-digit code! I worked with 2 other employees and we became a well oiled machine by the end of the first session (of 2 sessions)! Consumers evaluate the new standard, compared to the control, based on cheese flavor, salt, creaminess, and other factors. I don't usually eat Velveeta, but after eating some leftovers from the study, I might have found my new guilty pleasure! Having the opportunity to help run this sensory test was an excellent example of how Kraft interns can experience more than their specific research project, if they so choose. I really enjoyed myself and the whole process was delicious!


       The culture at Kraft is very communal --people are always willing to go out of their way to help one another, for the benefit of the company. As a thank you for another project that I was involved with in the Pilot Plant, I had the opportunity to prepare a luncheon for all those who helped. We work at a food company--of course we celebrate with food! We also invited my sponsors for the Evan Turek Scholarship, and the director of R&D. Scott O. and I made a full meal for our guests: Garden salad with Kraft dressings, Grilled vegetables, the Original Miracle Whip Potato Salad, "Mom's Baked Beans with a Roof of Bacon", bacon-wrapped burgers, ribs, REAL macaroni and cheese from scratch, jet-milled tiramisu cheesecake, and an amazing carrot cake. Please take some time to wipe the drool spilling out of your mouth, haha! While cooking delicious food is always fun, it was also a great learning experience for me. Scott O. taught me some important culinary lessons, such as layering flavors in the baked beans, how to create a real bechamel sauce for mac and cheese, how bacon can keep meat from drying out, and the difference between the current and historic Miracle Whip formulas. Food + Cooking + Science = Research Applications for the future.
     
       Jumping forwards to August 20 -- Kraft held a celebration at Kraftown, just down the road from the Tech Center. August 20 was National Jell-O day. The email was sent out to all of the Kraftown and R&D folks, inviting them to come join the event from 11-1pm at the Union. As the only intern left, I asked around to see if any of the employees would be attending. Most were busy, or unenthused by the promise of free jell-o snacks, so I rode my bike the 4 miles to see it for myself!! The Union was packed with people, relics of the beginning of the Jell-o era, Jell-o parfaits and pudding, and free Jiggler kits!! I am so glad that I went, and I have yet to be disappointed by the wonders of Kraftown!

       Some of you may know, but the day after Jell-o day, was August 21, 2014. Also known as my 22nd birthday! It was a Thursday, and I went to work wearing a special dress that my mother made for me back in October. The day was pretty normal, except that I had a 1:1 with Scott O. before I left to catch the train to Chicago for my birthday dinner. The meeting was around 2pm, I was sitting with Scott, discussing some results and my plans for the next couple of weeks, nothing really new or important. All of a sudden I saw candles and a gathering of people through the window of the Bat Cave! 10-15 Glenview employees had all come to sing and wish me a happy birthday, holding two of the most beautiful pies, made by none other than Scott O. I felt so special!!! And surprised!! The 1:1 was just a plot to get me distracted and seated for a birthday surprise. I didn't even know what to wish for....


       After completing my experiment with every combination of every variable, it was time to head up to Madison, Wisconsin to scale up my product to the Oscar Mayer pilot plant! My manager, Andy, joined me to facilitate introductions, show me the ropes, and supervise the whole process. My top 4 variables would be produced, along with the control turkey hot dog, cooked, and sent to Glenview for measurements, comparisons, and conclusions to be made. I cannot divulge much information, and the only photo I could take was by the elevator on the 7th floor of the R&D building at Oscar Mayer. They are pretty strict and secretive. What I can say is that I worked directly with Senior Technicians to mix, stuff, and cook each turkey hot dog and I assisted with trouble shooting on the various pieces of equipment. I felt very composed, productive, and in-tune with the stainless steel plant environment and was eager to help with all of the processes, including the cleaning! It was a great day!!!

      Another piece of good news: I have received the official offer to return for another internship at Kraft for next summer! After hashing out dates and project details, I plan to accept! Working at Kraft again would be a great opportunity to learn more about Food Science and transition into my graduate studies in the pursuit of a Master's Degree at an out-of-state university in the field of Food Science.

No comments:

Post a Comment