Saturday, September 13, 2014

Work Hard, Play Hard



     The past few weeks working at Kraft have certainly ramped up in intensity as I compile my data, make conclusions, write a Tech Report, and prepare a presentation for the entire Central Research Department of the Glenview Tech Center. However, I have also continued to have fun adventures with my UCD friends, and some new ones along the way!! Here are some photos and descriptions of how I've been spending my time outside of work, in this wonderful state (and outside of Illinois) !

White Sox Game! (They lost, but the company was winning)
       During the work week, I got a text from another UC Davis friend who had been driving her Mini Cooper as part of the Mini Takes the States event. Alex's epic road trip with hundreds of other Mini drivers had a stop in Chicago for their evening event, and she invited me to a Sox game! The road trip started in San Francisco, and they make a stop in 18 different states and 15 different cities from July 26-August 9, 2014. I was so lucky to get to meet up with her after work and meet some of her fellow Mini Cooper enthusiast friends, who were all English! Never a dull moment here in Chicagoland!

During the weekends, I always like to plan fun activities with Evan and Aaron (UCD Students) to explore and get the most out of our diminishing time left in Chicago. Here are some photos from one of our weekend marathon adventures in this wonderful and exciting city:

Oak Street Beach
Classic Lake Michigan beach
just a short walk from the L, excellent views of city and lake


Aaron, Evan, and I after the Chicago Hot Dog Fest!

Taiko Drum performance at the Ginza Festival!

Valoi's, a breakfast place in Hyde Park ~cafeteria-style
Obama's favorite breakfast place in Chicago


The Art Institute
featuring the Magritte Exhibit
infamous from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
A third of Marc Chagall's America Windows @the Art Institute

The following weekend, a dear friend from Study Abroad 2012 in Wuxi, China came to visit! We spent time with Evan and Aaron, and checked more items off of our bucket lists together.

The gang all together, leaving the Chicago Air and Water Show!
The show was cancelled due to fog, but that didn't tarnish our spirits!

On a brewery tour at Revolution Brewing

A little bit of dancing with some children at Navy Pier
with a Red Hot Chili Pepper cover band at the LandShark Beer Garden
The Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier


During the weekend of my Birthday, I also got to see the off-limits portions of the Field Museum, where scientists are currently doing biological research. My friend, Aaron, has been conducting research on dinosaur teeth and led me on a tour of the third floor, where they house the fossils. I even ran into Emily Graslie, from the Brain Scoop, which is an educational YouTube series, based out of the Field Museum! Here are some more photos of my adventures:

Sausage Fest!
So many fests here in the Midwest!
A quick photo of part of the Chicago Botanic Garden
It was a great bike ride, and bikers get free admission!
What a beautiful place, I hope I can go again before my time is up.


I also ran the Women's Magnificent Mile 5K!
The race started at 7:30AM, and took place on a long
stretch of the historic shopping street: Michigan Avenue.
I had a good time, despite having to take the train at 5:30AM!!

Runners lined up in their corrals, ready to run!
       As you can see, I have been a busy bee with my remaining time here in Chicagoland! I hope you enjoy these updates, however late they may be! I have less than 1 week left and I will be sad to leave. However, this summer has refreshed my enthusiasm for an active and busy lifestyle and I am more than ready to tackle my final year at UC Davis!!

No comments:

Post a Comment