Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Chicagoland Bike Ride & Sunday Funday

Bambi has been spotted!!
On a 16 mile bike starter ride through
the Forest Preserve.

      I am so lucky to live in this area, not only due to the proximity to Chicago, but for the large, open spaces. There is plenty of recreation in the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, including fishing, biking, running, walking, horseback riding, and swimming. This huge greenbelt spans over 68,000 acres of public land—about 11 percent of Cook County, and has a bike path that can connect Glenview to the northern Skokie Lagoons and to the Chicago Botanic Garden! I can't wait to explore this whole area on my bike!!




      Sunday was the last day that I could use my Kraft Employee ID card to get into the Shedd
 Aquarium for free, so I leaped at the opportunity and took the morning train to Chicago. Also, I got to meet up with 3 other UCD students who were in the area for the summer! A. Goodman is working at the Field Museum (free admittance for himself and 3 guests), E. Angelico is working at UChicago, and R. Gescheidle is newly graduated and living in her home in Evanston, IL. What a great opportunity to see these friends again!


        The Shedd Aquarium was incredible! They had aquatic exhibits of the Great Lakes, the Caribbean Reef, the Amazon, touching Sturgeons and tide pool organisms, and even an exhibit dedicated to Jellyfish!! I also got to see otters, beluga whales, and penguins!


      The next part of the adventure was the Chicago Annual Pride Parade! Even though I live so close to San Francisco, this was actually my first pride parade! There were a ton of people dressed colorfully, parade floats, portable bars, hot dog stands, and a lot of great music. It actually reminded me a lot of New Orleans, where everyone is there to have a great time and be wild.  It is considered the culmination of the larger Gay and Lesbian Pride Month, as promulgated by the Chicago City Council and Mayor of Chicago. Such fun!
I love Chicago!


No comments:

Post a Comment