Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Work Update




        Every work day starts off the same --Check the weather for rain, 20 minute jog around Lake Glenview, quickly prepare for the bike ride to work. I bike whenever the weather permits, in the spirit of exercise and the Davis lifestyle. Most interns drive separately. The bike ride is about 4 miles from the Glen to the Tech Center and passes through quintessential parts of Glenview --around the lake, across train tracks, past the library, and to Waukegan Avenue. There's a bike rack near the back entrance, closest to my lab, and I sometimes park next to a bike with a bike plate that reads "Leland". Jane Leland, a Kraft Fellow and one of my sponsors for the Evan Turek Scholarship, also rides her bike to work!



     Each intern has a desk, a laptop, lab coat, and a workspace. I spend most of my time in my workspace, which the employees call the "Bat Cave". The lab is on the top floor, located near my supervisor (Andy. M), my mentor (Jen K.), and my buddy (Stacey). It's also a short walk from Scott O's desk!
       The Bat Cave holds many kinds of starches, gums, syrups, flavors, and everything that Andy uses for his projects. As I was in the midst of the waiting portion of a preliminary experiment for my frank project, I made a fun sign for the lab door.




        The background was starch molecules --loved by the local starch employees. Jen, who is a protein guru, thought that it was inadequate and made a sign of her own! It says "Protein to the Rescue". These signs are a fun way to show that starches, proteins, and lipids all play an important role in structure-function relationships of foods. We have a lot of fun here!!





         Speaking of fun, Kraft sponsored a Midwestern favorite country singer, Brad Paisley  and his concert tour. Part of the contract was that Paisley would perform a set at Kraftown in Northfield. It was a huge event, with themed cafeteria food, a karaoke booth, free t-shirts, and a huge stage for the concert! Employees and Interns at Kraft are lucky to have these fun opportunities! It was awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment